Do you ever feel overwhelmed by competing demands on your time? Struggling to stay focused and motivated while juggling work, family, and personal commitments? Experiencing difficulty managing control of your actions or emotions?
You are not alone! Developing better self-control can help. Here are five science-backed strategies to help you gain the self-control you need to stay productive and fulfilled.
What Science Says
Self-control is a critical component of success. Research has shown that specific strategies can help you develop better self-control, so you can stay focused and motivated in the face of competing demands. Here are five strategies to help you get started:
1. Get Enough Sleep: Adequate sleep is key for high performance and developing better self-control.  
2. Practice Mindfulness: Mindfulness can help you stay focused and reduce stress. 
3. Exercise Regularly: Exercise boosts energy levels and increases your ability to focus.
4. Make Time for Self-Care: Self-care activities, like taking a relaxing bath or going for a walk, can help you stay energized and focus better.
5. Set Achievable Goals: Setting goals can help you stay motivated and focused on the task at hand.
Start small. Pick one of the strategies above and focus on that. For example, try going to bed 10 minutes earlier each night, or setting a goal for yourself each week. With consistent effort, you’ll be able to develop the self-control you need to stay productive and fulfilled.
Further reading and references:
 Sleep deprivation and its effects on cognition. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31049163/
 Sleep deprivation: impact on cognitive performance. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18591526/
 Mindfulness-based interventions for improving cognition, academic achievement, behavior, and socioemotional functioning of primary and secondary school students. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26354490/